Tuesday, March 05, 2019

The waiting room


The small waiting room was packed with people. A rancher walked in with the biggest Great Dane I have ever seen. He introduced the dog to the group of people waiting and proudly referred to him as his service dog. Right away I noticed one man scowling. He was with a woman (wife?) who was fawning over the magnificent dog. The husband was not impressed with this dog who was taking up so much space. Each time his wife expressed admiration for some trait of the dog, her husband responded with profanities.

I couldn't figure out whether the rancher could not hear the profanities or was just ignoring them. I think it was the latter, because he was sitting very close to the man, closer to him than I was, and I had no trouble hearing the words. The rancher was very proud of himself for saving the dog from an animal shelter. More profanity. The more the rancher praised himself for having saved the dog, the more profanity was muttered by the woman's husband.

Luckily I got called in for my appointment just before I thought I could no longer contain my amusement listening to the proud rancher, fawning women, and scowling husband.

No comments: