Sunday, December 03, 2017

" It’s not what we saw at all in his time with us ... We thought very highly of him.”

The Guardian travels to Australia to report on Roy Moore.
One woman, who was 16 years old when Moore lived with the Rolfes and came in close contact with him, said she never felt uncomfortable around him.

“There was nothing of that kind on my part. I certainly didn’t feel uneasy with him,” the woman, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Guardian.

“There was never anything remotely like that [and] I was in my teenage years, which I guess would have been the prime time if he was going to do something. Usually, you have your antenna out for that sort of thing and nothing untoward came about. I remember he was gregarious, very bubbly and loud ... a typical American.”


The huge cattle station in outback Queensland is where Roy Moore spent a year in 1984. Photograph: Michael McGowan for the Guardian

...But in Australia, the Guardian did not find any reports of improper behaviour.

“In a small town like this, those sorts of things don’t stay secret and they aren’t forgotten,” said Desley Abdy, the owner of the local convenience store.

...“I think he was even more staunch as a Christian than my father was, but it wasn’t anything unusual for us,” Doug Rolfe said. “I was a very devout Christian for a period of time in my life as well … He wouldn’t carry on like a hallelujah Christian or anything; he was just very set in his ideas about moral standards and so forth.”
Read more here.

No comments: