Immediately after impeaching President Donald Trump for allegedly obstructing the House and abusing his power as president, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi obstructed the Senate’s constitutional obligation to hold an impeachment trial and abused her power by trying to steal power that belongs solely to the Senate under the Constitution. Pelosi told reporters on Thursday that she is in no rush to formally transmit to the Senate the articles of impeachment her party in the House had just approved. Here are six reasons Pelosi’s impeachment obstruction stunt undermines the entire basis of the Democrats’ effort to eject Trump from office.Read more here.
1) After impeaching Trump for supposed obstruction of House, Pelosi moves to obstruct the Senate...Pelosi is obstructing the Senate by asserting a privilege to not formally transmit the articles of impeachment to the Senate for trial, and abusing her power by demanding authority that under the Constitution belongs to the Senate, not the Speaker of the House.
2) After denying Trump any due process, Pelosi is now denying him a speedy trial. ...You might call this the Gitmo approach. By treating him as an enemy combatant instead of an American citizen with certain rights, the Democrats can continue to play politics with this indefinitely.
3) Pelosi has no leverage.
4) Pelosi’s obstruction gambit shows her own lack of confidence in Schiff’s work product.
5) Refusing to transmit impeachment articles undercuts Democrats’ claim that Trump is an “urgent threat” to America.
6) Democrats continue to destroy norms and institutions while claiming Trump is the real norm destroyer.
...it is the continued refusal of Democrats, media, and NeverTrump activists to accept the results of an election they lost that represents the gravest threat to our system of government.
Thursday, December 19, 2019
"Nobody is below the law!"
In the Federalist, Sean Davis and Mollie Hemingway write,