Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Grassroots Republicans have their say!

Rick Santorum had a great night last night, winning here in Colorado, but also in Minnesota and Missouri. Why? Well, although I have not seen any analyses yet, he certainly got the votes of conservatives. He got evangelicals, and, I presume, he got Catholics. Obama's Health and Human Services Secretary announced new rules under Obamacare last week, which would require Catholics to provide birth control, including pills that cause abortions, and that may have been the biggest factor for Santorum's victory, because he is a devout Christian (Catholic), conservative, and has the support of Tea Party Republicans.By the way, Santorum mentions this decision in his Missouri victory speech, which is posted below.

I went over to the website of the Colorado Republican Party, and if I counted correctly, Santorum won 44 counties, Romney 18, and Gingrich 1. All of those 44 Santorum counties are rural, except he also won in El Paso County, which includes Colorado Springs, Mesa County, which includes Grand Junction, La Plata County, which includes Durango, and Larimer, which includes Fort Collins. He won the southern half of the state, and all but one of the eastern counties, the only county won by Gingrich. Romney won in the liberal, affluent ski areas, Denver, Boulder, and the far northwest counties closest to Utah.

Two of Colorado's most popular conservatives, former Congressman Tom Tancredo, and former Lieutenant Governor Jane Norton, announced their support for Santorum last week. They proved to be more in touch with the grassroots Republican voters than did former Governor Bill Owens, who stuck with his friend, Mitt Romney.

Here is the CSPAN video of Santorum's Missouri speech, given before the results from Colorado were counted. I saw the video first on a local news station's internet posting, and it showed more of his wife than this one does. I couldn't get that one to embed. Too bad, because I think he has a cute wife, and I'd much rather look at her than at him. I know, I'm a sexist pig. Actually, she reminds me a lot of my own daughter, Marisa, who lives in Texas, and is a beautiful woman, if I do say so myself!




1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Weel I dunno I'm a tea party person and I def don't want Santorum He backed all of Bush's stuff I didn't like.