Monday, April 11, 2011

Cage of Stars

The narrator of the novel Cage of Stars is a twelve-year-old girl! She had been babysitting her two younger sisters, and they were playing hide and go seek on their rural property near Cedar City, Utah. The narrator was hiding. Her sisters were looking for her. They never found her, because a schizophrenic local pharmacist (!) savagely murdered them in a shed on the property. The pharmacist had no history of violence, not even a parking ticket.

Can you imagine what this act did to this family? To this 12-year-old? The book is superbly written, and yes, Terri, it does portray Mormons in a very good light.

3 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

Wow I can't even begin to imagine how that would affect you. As the eldest I still feel responsible for my siblings. It was drilled into my head you are the eldest. Ok I gotta read this and thanks I'm glad it was positive.

Tim A said...

Why would someone want to be entertained by reading a grizzely novel about horrendous acts?

"Abhor that which is evil, cling to that which is good"

Bob's Blog said...

Tim,
No one would, hopefully. Clinging to simplistic slogans isn't the answer, either. I understand, too, why Jesus threw the holier than thous out of the temple.