Sunday, June 12, 2011

When love is returned

I'll never regret loving Colleen, who is now engaged to marry a guy down near Santa Fe, New Mexico. I'll also never regret having loved and parented her three children from her first marriage. I got my first Father's Day card of 2011 from 19-year-old Erik yesterday. It says,
Dad, by your example I know the value of hard work, loyalty, and what it means to be family. You're a good man and a wonderful father. I'm thankful every single day that you are my dad. Thanks for always being there when I need you.
Love, Erik

This card just means the world to me. Erik is a talented musician and mechanic. He has never said anything like this to me before. He kind of keeps his thoughts to himself. He has a girlfriend, who really brings out his loving side. He is making straight A's at his diesel mechanic technical college, where he will begin his final year this fall. This summer he is working at a Grease Monkey.

2 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

Isn't great when they finally acknowledge you?

Cliff Stewart said...

Nice post, Bob. I have a great appreciation for guys like you, who give everything they have for their family. Not having had this in my own life, it helps me to see it through you. It helps me dial down my own cynicism, just a little. God bless you, and hang in there.