Sunday, June 19, 2011

In our best interest

The Denver Post is warning us on the front page of the Denver and the West section about the possibility of West Nile virus infecting humans this summer. I just read in the excellent book Th!nk that measured by mortality rates, West Nile virus is over one thousand times less dangerous than the common flu. Nevertheless, the Post article says that of the 81 cases of human West Nile virus infection in Colorado last year, four people died. Nationwide there were 1,021 cases, and 57 deaths. Since today is going to be a gardening day, I guess I will put on a dab or two of mosquito repellent, although the Post article says the mosquito that carries the virus does not begin breeding until July or August. By then I will be in the habit.

Do you think Michelle Obama will soon require all of us to put on the repellent every time we go outside? I can see it now: cars of government inspectors slowly driving by our houses, and stopping to check anyone they see outside to see if they have applied mosquito repellent! After all, it is in our best interest, isn't it?

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

I have ceased to be surprised over what the Obama's think I should do. That Congress follows suit really drives me insane.