Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Failure to have "an attitude of gratitude"

I posted yesterday about Dr. Sanity's posts on the political left's seven deadly sins of narcissism. I have been thinking about it. Mental illness is not found just on the left. We in the center and on the right have our mental health issues, too.

Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, in her book My Stroke of Insight, reminds us that we have the power to make good choices. We can choose how we respond to the events in our lives, big and small. We can choose to let negative thoughts and emotions go away, after their 90 second appearance in our circuitry. If we hang on to anger and misery longer than that, it is because we are choosing to do so. God created us to know joy, to experience bliss. We use our left brain to do, to function in the world. But the right brain can help us appreciate the present, have "an attitude of gratitude," mellow out, and practice compassion and good humor.

People on the political right are often just as impatient, unkind, inconsiderate, selfish, whiny, and lost in "poor me" victimhood as people on the left.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

The real difference to me is the response. My liberal friends tell me to ride this out, take all the unemployment cash I can get, blah blah blah. My conservative friends look at me and say well move where the jobs are. Course right now there aren't any jobs.