Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Dad

Speaking of wonderful dads, I was fortunate enough to have one. I had no reason to rebel as a teen, because I enjoyed being around my dad. Every evening we would do the dishes together, then watch t.v. It would always end with The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Before Johnny came on, we might watch George Gobel or Perry Como, or we might light a fire in the fireplace and shoot some pool.

Dad was a hard worker, whether it was his profession, or his hobbies (gardening and hunting). His profession was selling life insurance, primarily to farmers in Iowa. They trusted him, as did I. Farmers are good at knowing whether a man is genuine or a phony.

As a teen I fell in love with the game of golf. In fact, on the Sunday I was to graduate from high school, there was a golf tournament. I chose to play in the tournament, instead of walking across a stage to receive a diploma. I figured they'd mail it to me. Guess who went with me to the tournament? Guess who shagged after my practice balls prior to the tournament? Guess who would yell at the referee when a foul was called on me in a basketball game? Guess who wrote me a letter every single week while I was in college many miles from home?

Guess who I looked up to? A man who never looked down on anyone. My Dad.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Yea my dad always made me feel safe. Even now. Jobless in a very bad economy he finds ways to make me feel ok about it. To dads!