Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Recover What?"

The reason I am so intent on learning from Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor's book My Stroke of Insight is that I want to recover, too! I want to recover the joy I believe God created us to experience now and forever. Dr. Taylor writes that the question she gets asked the most is, "how long did it take for you to recover?" Her answer, not meant to be trite, is, "Recover what?" Her first priority was to recover her language skills. Her loving mother, Gigi, retaught her the alphabet. Then she focused on recovering one skill after another for the next eight years.

And don't forget this point: there were some things she did not want to recover! I am referring to the brain circuitry loops of "poor me," and other negative emotions she no longer wanted to play a dominant role in her life. I am sure with her on that one. Here's to a more dominant role for the right brain!

No comments: