Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I wish he could have shared more of his thinking with us when he was President.

In his book Decision Points George W. Bush gives a clear and vigorous defense of all of the major decisions he made during his presidency. I wish he could have done more of that while president. I am convinced tht if he would have done that, his popularity with the American people would not have declined so much as it did in his second term.

He read fourteen books on Abraham Lincoln while in the White House. He makes numerous other references to books and other materials he read while president. He was clearly a student of history, and, with his beloved wife Laura, herself a former teacher and librarian, a lover of reading.

I know he is not a smooth talker, but with this book, he has shown that he is a superb writer. I am glad he took the time to write this book.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

I echo your thoughts. Every time he went before the American people he won our hearts even those against him. Why he didn't do it more is a mystery I hope we'll solve one day.