Monday, January 17, 2011

The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men

Does your library have a table or some kind of display in which "staff picks" are highlighted? Ours does, and I love it, because I can go right over to that display and almost always find either a children's book, or a book for adults that looks interesting, and I don't have to spend a lot of time. Every time I go to the library, which is about three times a week, I head for that display, and I am never disappointed.

Last week I found a real treasure there: Jill Conner Brown's Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men. I enjoyed every minute of this book. Ms. Brown's down-to-earth Mississippi sense of humor is pure delight. I had never heard of the Sweet Potato Queens, but apparently there are active chapters all around the world. These women love men, and they know us pretty well, too. But they also know how to get rid of us when we deserve to be gotten rid of. The book has tales from Queens from all over. There is a laugh in every paragraph.

Befor I shut down the computer tonight, I am going to put on hold at my wonderful library every other book written by Jill Conner Brown.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Sounds like a book I need to read.