Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An Historic and Emotional Day

I admit I got caught up emotionally in the historic nature of the inauguration. Historic, because American elected a person with chocolate-colored skin. Historic because of what was "overcome" to enable us to get to that day. Historic because many blacks who fought for this country in World War II came home to a country that did not allow them to vote, to eat in restaurants, to live where they wanted to live.

On the day of Obama's birth, August 4, 1961, one county in Mississippi had 2,490 black residents, but no blacks registered to vote. Also on that day, police in Shreveport, Louisiana arrested black Freedom Riders who broke the law by entering a waiting room set aside for whites at a Trailways bus depot!

2 comments:

Daddio said...

Definitely one for the history books. But I wish Thomas had been the Chief Justice so that he could have administered the oath. Then the world would see that Bush 41 was color blind, too, and that you don't have to be a liberal just because of your darker skin.

Terri Wagner said...

I guess I just can't get into it. I'm for a true colorblind society. I hate to say it but I think most people voted for Obama because of the race issue.