Saturday, January 17, 2009

Should We Just Cancel The Inauguration?

I fear that some of you readers may get tired of me writing that "David Harsanyi has written another great column." But, he has.

This one is on "climate change (formerly known as global warming)." Harsanyi writes
"The carbon footprint of Barack Obama's inauguration could exceed 575 million pounds of CO2. According to the Institute for Liberty, it would take the average U.S. household nearly 60,000 years of naughty ecological behavior to produce a carbon footprint equal to the largest self-congratulatory event in the history of mankind."


I hope you read the whole thing. Here is his final paragraph.
"Is 0.74 degress Celsius warming over the past 100 years really enough to make us panic? I mean, we could probably make that up canceling the inauguration."

2 comments:

Daddio said...

Nice. I'll need to remember that statistic when talking to environmentalists. I like to throw out an occasional reminder that Al Gore's jet, which measure fuel not in MPG but GPM (gallons per minute), burns enough fuel on one cross-country flight to power my family's Suburban for seven years.

Terri Wagner said...

I sure wish not only could we cancel the event but the whole next four years, sigh. I have a feeling it's going to be rough.