Wednesday, April 30, 2008

President Bush Tells It Like It Is

Did you happen to see or hear President Bush go off on a reporter yesterday? Gateway Pundit has the full transcript.
Question: Thank you, Mr. President. I'd like to switch to Afghanistan. There was another attempt on President Karzai's life. There are operations going on there right now. Is the strategy succeeding? Are we winning in Afghanistan?

THE PRESIDENT: I think we're making progress in Afghanistan, but there's a very resilient enemy that obviously wants to kill people that stand in the way of their reimposition of a state that is -- which vision is incredibly dark. I mean, it's very important for the American people to remember what life was like in Afghanistan prior to the liberation of the country. We had a government in place that abused people's human rights, they didn't believe in women's rights, they didn't let little girls go to school, and they provided safe haven to al Qaeda. In the liberation of this country, we've achieved some very important strategic objectives: denying al Qaeda safe haven from which to plot and plan attacks, and replacing this repressive group with a young democracy.

And it's difficult in Afghanistan. If you know the history of the country, you understand it's hard to go from the kind of society in which they had been living to one in which people are now responsible for their own behavior. But I am pleased with a lot of things. One, I'm pleased with the number of roads that have been built. I'm pleased with the number of schools that have opened up. I'm pleased a lot of girls, young girls are going to school. I'm pleased health clinics are now being distributed around the country. I'm pleased with the Afghan army, that when they're in the fight they're good.

I wish we had completely eliminated the radicals who kill innocent people to achieve objectives, but that hasn't happened yet. And so I think it's very much in our interests to continue helping the young democracy. And we will.

Yes. Obviously you've got a follow-up.

Question: But do you think we're winning? Do you think we're winning?

THE PRESIDENT: I do, I think we're making good progress. I do, yes.

Question: Can I just add to that, a couple weeks ago --

THE PRESIDENT: No, you can't. This is the second follow-up. You usually get one follow-up, and I was nice enough to give you one. I didn't give anybody on this side a follow-up, and now you are trying to take a second follow-up.

Question: They didn't try.

THE PRESIDENT: I know you try.

Yes.

Question: Can I just say --

THE PRESIDENT: They just cut off your mic. You can't, no.

Question: A couple weeks ago you said --

THE PRESIDENT: Now she's going to go without the mic. This is awesome. (Laughter.)

Question: A couple weeks ago you said that in Iraq, in 2006, you said we were winning and the strategy was working to keep up troop morale.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes.

Question: How can we believe that you're not doing the same thing here?
(You're lying.)

THE PRESIDENT: You tried to ask me that question before. It's a repeat. Look, I said --

Question: No, I'm talking --

THE PRESIDENT: Can I finish, please? The question you asked me before at the exclusive I gave you on the ranch was: You said that we were winning in the past. I also said that there was tough fighting. Make sure you put the comments in place.

So what I'm going to tell you now is, we're making progress in Afghanistan, but there's tough fighting. I'm under no illusions that this isn't tough. I know full well we're dealing with a determined enemy. I believe it's in our interest that we defeat that enemy. And so, yes, we're making progress. But it's also a tough battle. We're facing people who are willing to strap bombs on themselves and walk into places where the innocent dwell, or the innocent shop, and kill them.

Is it in our interest to confront these people now, whether it be in Afghanistan, or Iraq, or Europe, or anywhere else? And the answer is, absolutely, it's in our interest. And the notion that somehow we can let these people just kind of have their way or, you know, let's don't stir them up, is naive or disingenuous, and it's not in our nation's interests. We are in a global struggle against thugs and killers. And the United States of America has got to continue to take the lead.

And so in Afghanistan, yes, we're making progress. Does that mean that it's over? No, it doesn't mean it's over. We're in a long struggle, as I've told you many a time, against these jihadists. You defeat them ultimately by the advance of democracy. See, this is an ideological struggle. These aren't isolated, law-enforcement moments. We're dealing with a group of ideologues who use asymmetrical warfare -- that means killing innocent people -- to try to achieve their objectives. And one objective is to drive us out of Afghanistan, Iraq, the Middle East, or anywhere else where we try to confront them.

And so, yes, I mean, look -- is it tough? Yes, it's tough. Is it difficult? Absolutely. Is it worth the fight? In my judgment, yes, it is.

4 comments:

Daddio said...

What a great excerpt, he was so clear and eloquent. As I've said before, President Bush is clearly not the bumbling idiot that Jon Stewart and Al Franken want us to believe he is.

Terri Wagner said...

He's such a great guy. It infuriates me that he gets such disrespect.

Mrs. Who said...

He has not wavered from his beliefs from the beginning. Can Clinton (either one) or Obama say that?

Trinka said...

I really appreciate President Bush, and the way he's treated in the press makes me so angry.

He was here in Grand Rapids, and I've heard some wonderful stories about his meetings with people here. He's a genuinely good, kind man, and I believe has done what's right in defending our nation.