Thursday, October 11, 2007

Memories, Lessons

Sailing is a subject I know nothing about. One of the commenters on Skywriter's blog is a single parent named The Captain. The Captain was blogging about a wonderful sailing trip he took with his two children.

It reminded me of a trip I took with my dad when I was a young boy. My dad's sister had a friend who was a doctor. The doctor had a yacht. We were on the yacht on the Pugent Sound near Seattle. People kept offering my dad drinks. Each time they served him a drink, he would nudge me and smile, then, when no one but I was looking, he would dump the contents of the glass over his shoulder into the Pugent Sound. It made a big impression on me. The lesson I learned was that you could avoid alcohol, and still have a great time! I had a wonderful father.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful father indeed!

Bob's Blog said...

He was an a terrific role model.

Gayle said...

Yes, you did have a terrific father. I wish every child in the world had a dad like yours, then perhaps the world wouldn't be the mess that it is!

Keifer Southerland could take a lesson from him. He needs to quit driving around drunk, before he kills himself or someone else. Maybe a bit of jail time will give him a much needed wakeup call. But he's not the only one. I live in the country where the roads are narrow, two-lane affairs and I hate to drive after dark because of the drunks!

Bob's Blog said...

gayle,
No matter how good a parent is, human nature comes into play, and offspring still make bad choices. It definitely helps to have a good parent,though.