Monday, October 28, 2013

Marxism in our public schools

Are our kids being taught from Marxist textbooks in our public schools? Yes. Last week I accompanied my two sons and daughter to their school in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Son Jon had suffered an injury to his knee while tackling someone in a football game at lunch time on Tuesday. Friday we went to the school to get his homework for the days he had missed. One of the teachers I met was the woman who teaches both him and his brother, Greg, history (in two different classes). She was very nice, and complimented both boys for being "critical thinkers."

On her desk I noticed a book by the Marxist Howard Zinn, entitled A Child's History of America. I picked it up and thumbed through it, and asked her if she balanced Zinn with the views of writers on the right, who love America. She smiled and said that she only uses Zinn to teach the children to have empathy for native Americans.

Later, Jon told me that Zinn's book is the one the teacher used when teaching the class all the negative information about Christopher Columbus that he had shared with me earlier this month.

No comments: