Sunday, May 20, 2012

A day in Colorado Springs

When I learned that the kids would be here on Friday, May 18, I got somebody to work my shift, and began plotting a day of fun in Denver. One of our favorite things to do is to go shoot pool and have a great meal at the Wynkoop Brewery. Then we like to go to the Denver Library and/or The Tattered Cover Book Store.

But, Friday morning I received a phone call from Jon saying that Colleen was working in Colorado Springs, and he wondered if I could meet them there. I said sure, got in the car and headed south, instead of north.  I thought of fun things we could do there. How about visiting and taking a tour of the USA Olympic Training Facility? I had read that Mark Spitz is there training for this summer's London Olympics. Maybe we could catch a glimpse of him flying through the water! We joined up with a tour group, but Jon was bored; too much like school! So, we just explored on our own. Greg saw something that looked like monkey bars, going around in a big circle. He made it all the way around!

I asked the kids if they would like to go to the zoo, which I remembered is on the side of Cheyenne Mountain, where NORAD is located. To my delight, they enthusiastically wanted to go to the zoo! Usually, when kids approach middle school age, they get all sophisticated and poo poo ideas like going to zoos. I was so thankful my kids do not have that pseudosophistication yet. Jon loved playing tug of war with a giraffe, who thought Jon was trying to feed him a leaf! The zoo is located in a lush mountainside setting.

Near the zoo is the spectacular Seven Falls. We checked it out. It is in a steep canyon. You can actually ride an elevator to the top. Of course, the boys preferred to run up and down the steep stairs, but I think Sara preferred the elevator. The seven falls can barely be seen at the top of this blogpost.

We finished the day in Colorado Springs eating delicious sandwiches at Schlotskys Deli then stopped at Wal-Mart to buy a new football for the boys. When we got home the boys still had energy to toss the football and play some basketball, while I tucked Sara in. Sara and I shared spiritual philosophies with each other, before saying our prayers. She has some wonderful ideas about God's love. Later, the boys were finally also ready to be tucked in. Another day of cherished memories.

1 comment:

julie said...

I'm glad your time with the kids went so well - looks like you had a great adventure!

I'm sorry, though, to hear that you don't get to be with them more often. It's understandable, given the circumstances, but tough all around. You're right about keeping an open heart, though, and I can say from my parents' example that things can get better, if you let them. Mine both remarried, and all these years later manage to be fairly good friends and allies, for the sake of us kids. But it does them good, too. We are, all of us, the better for that.

I hope as time goes by, you and your family will be able to say the same, and may God bless you all.