Monday, January 16, 2012

Sparkles in their eyes

I meet a lot of really interesting people in my job. Last week I met a woman who looked really good, but I wondered how old she was, so I asked her, "How old are you going to be on your next birthday?" She said if she makes it to April, she will be 100-years-old! Humorously, she added that the way things are going in the world, she didn't know if she should try for that milestone. She told me that she had already outlived all her children but one, her 66-year-old "baby," with whom she was shopping. Of course, I asked her what her secret to longevity was, but I didn't really get an answer on that one. She clearly had a good sense of humor, though, and a real sparkle in her eyes.

The next day I met a guy who was wearing a cap that said US Marines. I asked him where he served. He said World War II in Okinawa! He didn't look a day over 65. I asked him if he was glad Truman decided to drop the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He said no. He regretted that so many innocent people had to lose their lives. When I told him how good he looks, he said he plans to live until he is 120, at least.

No comments: