Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Playing with LEGOs

(more thoughts inspired from Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism)

I love to observe the creations my children make with LEGOs. Goldberg writes about a Seattle progressive child-care center that banned LEGOs, because they said "the children were building their assumptions about ownership and the social powere it conveys - assumptions that mirrored those of a capitalist society - a society that we teachers believe to be unjust and oppressive." The teachers instead created a playtime that reflected the morally superior standards of "collectivity." I guarantee you that is not what children naturally do in LEGOs play.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

I remember that because my Washington friend's sons adore LEGOs even the teenagers. And they do their own thing and play in their own way. Does anyone see how wrong this is?