Friday, April 10, 2009

Faith That Moves Mountains

(More thoughts inspired by reading Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism)

As Mussolini said in an interview in 1932, "It is faith that moves mountains, not reason. Reason is a tool, but it can never be the motive force of the crowd." ("Hope and Change, Hope and Change!") William James wrote that all one needs is "the will to believe." In America in the 2008 election, Barack Obama successfully married James's will to believe with Nietzsche's will to power. Faith moving mountains? I think there was another Man who first taught His disciples about that!

Actually, I believe strongly in encouraging people to stand up to oppressive government rulers. I believe in reminding people of the power of the ballot, and urging them not to forget to vote, when they have a chance to put a stop to oppression.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

In my religion, we often refer to our time as the last days and in the last days we are taught that many good people would be deceived...somehow arrogantly I thought not the US. We have our Constitution...now I'm not so sure.