Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"The Last Ax-Swinging Pastor Standing"

To win over the people, a politician must have good press. Republicans have talk radio and Fox News. Democrats have all the major newspapers and national television news. The print media has been very friendly to Huckabee, because he is affable and accessible. However, it would be a great mistake for Huckabee to assume that the press will remain friendly to him when the chips are all on the table. The writers in the print media and television news are overwhelmingly liberal, as are their editors.

I noted yesterday that I heard both Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly warn that the press will turn on Huckabee, if he actually does become the nominee. Here is an example from today's Rocky Mountain News writer Mike Littwin, who is following Huckabee in New Hampshire. "There is no secret what happened in Iowa. In a state with a significant number of Christian conservatives - a significant number of whom couldn't find a candidate to back - they finally settled on the last ax-swinging pastor standing."

The full page article is supposedly favorable to Huckabee. The headline says "Huckabee Finds Stride With "Little Guy." However, it is just as Bill and Rush warned yesterday; the not-so-subtle sarcasm is just below the surface. Here's how Littwin, who obviously thinks he is a very funny writer, sums up Huckabee. "To wrap it up: He's pro little guy, anti-plutocracy, nostalgic for dirt floors."

4 comments:

Gayle said...

I agree. The MSM is setting up Huckabee. If he wins the nomination they'll be all over him. It's the same with us and Hillary. I actually hope she becomes the Democratic nominee. I think she'll be easier to beat than Obama, and the scandals about her will come out fast and furious. But what do I know? I voted for Bush thinking he'd be strong on the borders. For that I should go soak my head! Not for voting for Bush, because I didn't have a choice, but for thinking he'd be strong on the borders.

Perhaps I was right all along. Perhaps he is strong on the borders. Strong-minded about not doing anything about them. :(

Bob's Blog said...

Yes, Gayle, I share your sadness about the President's failure to protect our borders. I also agree with your theory about Hillary, but, actually, the sooner she is defeated the better! As much as I dislike her, I simply cannot stand her husband, and do not wish to see or hear him one more second!

shoprat said...

That's how the elitists see all of the ordinary people. That's why they call this Flyover Country.

Bob's Blog said...

shoprat,
Yes. That is an important aspect of all of this.