Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Red Room


Yesterday our adopted child (now three-years-old) and one of our foster children (will be two in January) had what they thought would be a great idea. They climbed up the bookshelf to the fourth level, got down the bright red tempura paint, and squirted it all over our new beige carpet. I was in the next room homeschooling our five and six-year-old sons. I thought it was too quiet in there, so I investigated. I was appalled that our three-year-old would have such poor judgment. They were both sent to early naps with stern lectures. This morning my three-year-old led me into the "red room", pointed at the carpet, and said "I'm never going to paint this carpet again." Of course, that does not rule out the carpets in other rooms.

1 comment:

Daddio said...

Our oldest, also adopted, did something similar with sunscreen at age 4 1/2. As you said, we were shocked that he had such poor judgement. It was all over him, his face, hair, carpet, walls, bed, dresser, etc. To this day we cannot imagine what was going through his head.

Let me tell you, he got much more than a stern lecture for punishment.