Sunday, February 10, 2019

Four generations

Guest post by Suzann Darnall

We had some lovely family experiences this past week. My parents were getting a new poodle puppy from a friend down here in Texas, so they decided to turn the trip into a bit of a family visit as well. It was a nice pre-Valentine’s Day bit of love. My mom even bought me a lovely lavender miniature rosebush!

Mom and Dad arrived on Wednesday evening, just in time to attend the performance where one of our granddaughters was dancing. We ended up having four generations of us there. Quite a rowdy cheering section for Lorelle with four generations hootin’-n-hollerin’ for her! Our section of the bleachers included: my parents, Pete and me, both our daughters, and five of our grandchildren, as well as one son-in-law. After the show, we all went to Whataburger and did some more visiting. My parents both love the opportunity to
visit with their children, grandchildren, and now, great-grandchildren. Getting a good Texas burger along with it is a bonus!

On Thursday, my mom had plans to spend the day spoiling me. She wanted to take care of me ‘cause she worries about me getting worn out as I am Pete’s caretaker during this cancer and chemo phase of his life. Consequently she and I had a delightful day. We went to Buda Soda Fountain, one of my favorite places for lunch. Yummy! Then, we did some shopping at a few places we both enjoy. Found some treasures, had some laughs, and reconnected. We ended the day by stopping to get some fried chicken and sides to take home for dinner.

While Mom and I were out and about, Dad and Pete spent the day at home. Resting and visiting. One of the goals my dad had for this trip was a good long time to talk with Pete. When Dad was here in November 2018, to help me while Pete underwent surgery and had a lengthy hospital stay, he did not get lots of time to visit with Pete. Pete was just too wounded and tired most of the time. So, it was a blessing that he got to make up for it this trip.

After Mom, Dad, Pete, and I finished our dinner, which was a huge hit ‘cause Gill’s Fried Chicken makes some really delicious liver and gizzards, we opened the boxes of goodies that Mom and Dad brought down from Colorado. It is always like Christmas when my parents visit or send a box in the mail. This set of boxes was not different! As usual, there was something from the past that touched my heart and something funny to makeme laugh. Good times for sure. They even brought a special plate for Pete’s Norman Rockwell collection and it is a beauty.

The only downside to the entire trip was that we did not get to see their new puppy. They left Friday morning to go pick him up and then headed straight back up the road for Colorado. But, Mom has promised to send pictures and I am sure my phone will get blown-up with baby-pup pics any time now!

I am grateful that six of my grandchildren (Logan, Lorelle, Tyler, Mckayla, Tabitha, and Reese) are getting to know my parents. I remember how special it was for me to visit with my grandparents and great-grandparents. I also remember seeing my daughters, Charly and Amanda, with their grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great-grandparents. Yes, as special as it is to gather the four generations we have now, at times we have had five and even six living generations.

This past couple of days was just one more reminder to me of the importance of family. The importance of traditions, no matter how silly or small. The importance of knowing those who came before and sharing with those who come after. Family is more than just the names on a genealogical chart or birth certificate. Family is those we love and those who love us. Sometimes family is four generations being silly at a dance recital and then descending like locusts upon a Whataburger! We are family. We are forever.

No comments: