Saturday, August 25, 2018

Are You Ready For Some . . . Thing Else?

Guest post by
by Suzann Darnall

Once again, I will not be watching the National Football League. While it hurts to miss out on the amazing JJ Watt, it would hurt me more to go against my principles. I cannot in good conscience support, even by so little a part as watching, a group of multi-millionaires who disrespect our flag, our anthem, our country, our military, our police, and so many of their fans.

I do not object to their protesting. I object to their timing of said protesting. My husband cannot protest while he is at work. Most people I know cannot protest while at work. So, why are these guys being allowed to protest when they are on the clock??? And, if what they are reportedly protesting is sooo egregious, why were none of them out protesting in the off-season? Or, better yet, working with communities to try and solve some of the problems that are leading to the conditions and situations they are supposedly protesting???

My father, my husband, my brother, my father-n-law, and numerous others in my family have served this country, and even fought for it. Generations from multiple branches of our family tree have served in various capacities in our military. Among the rights they were protecting was the right of freedom of speech and the right to assemble for protest. They also fought for my right to dissent against what the protestors are doing. So, just as they are exercising their right to kneel, I am exercising my right to do something else on game days.

So, come Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays, and so on, I will be doing anything but NFL. Maybe college football. Maybe Major League Baseball. I love in MLB games how there is so much love shown for America, the military, and traditions. I also find international rugby to be fascinating. Especially the respect the players show for the anthems of both countries, as well as the respect for the referees. These rugby players are hardcore athletes who still manage to be sportsmen.

By the way, still not happy with Coach Pop, the San Antonio Spurs, or the NBA in general. So, won’t be doing their games, either. Amazing how much time I am regaining just by refusing to watch millionaires disrespect others based on skin color, profession, beliefs, or whatever the heck it is they are ticked off about this week!!!

Suzann blogs at WoolyMammoth.Org

No comments: