Sunday, August 31, 2008

"There Would Be No One Left In Ghana!"

Recently I spoke with a man who came to America from Ghana. He first came to New Jersey, then to Colorado, where he has lived the last five years. He told me, "If Ghana were as close to America as Mexico is, there would be no one left in Ghana!"

I asked him if there were a lot of abandoned children in orphanages. He said, "Not in orphanages. They are in the streets."

It was great to hear him express his love for America. He expects to become a full U.S. citizen in two years. He has been taking classes on U.S. history. We talked about this 2008 election. I told him I would not be supporting Obama, and mentioned Obama's association with America-haters like Bill Ayres and Pastor Wright. I told him how excited I was that McCain had selected Sarah Palin as his running mate.

He said that he finds it weird that our candidates ask for money, explaining that in Ghana, the candidates give you money to vote for them!

3 comments:

Mrs. Who said...

He shows us how damn lucky we are to be Americans.

Snowbird said...

How naive some people outside of America are about the realities of America.
I am planning a move from America to Ghana. Some things money can't buy. In America you can be intelligent, wealthy, and law abiding; however if you are also Black your quality of life will be diminished. I don't plan on letting that happen to my children.

Terri Wagner said...

A couple from my church was visiting a Hundu temple in India. The man responsible for the temple told them that in his beliefs you relived your time on earth until you achieved the highest order and could move on. He knew the couple was Christian but made a comment that resonates often with me. He told them based on that, I think you should know, that I believe you must have done something extraordinary to get to be born in America.