Thursday, December 30, 2021

"Did anything fall out?"

Since I do write a blog, and since I have just experienced major surgery, perhaps I should write about the experience!
One year ago I woke up in the morning with a mangled left eye. l looked up addresses of opthamologists, and set out walking for the nearest one. The doctor was amazed that I had the nerve to bring such an ugly specimen to be examined by him. After all, he was a faithful devotee of New Mexico's governor, who had just locked down the city where I live, Santa Fe. Not Walmart or any other of her favorite corporations, just the little guys.
Several other doctor visits later, a surgery was performed in Albuquerque. In that surgery, an opthamologist took the cornea out of my left eye. The problem was that I had a cancer tumor growing in there. I began participating in immunotherapy every three weeks. One day recently when I showed up for my treatment, my oncologist abruptly told me the treatments had stopped being effective and would be halted immediately. He told me to go back to the surgeon in Albuquerque and have him dig out that growing tumor.
I was happy to hear that the Albuquerque surgeon had taken on a partner. She was kind, compassionate, and very smart. She told me that she could get all but a small amount of the cancer tumor, which could then be safely removed by the radiologist in Santa Fe who had removed the cancer from the exterior of my face a couple of years previously. I liked him, too, because he had told me a year ago, "Your cancer is SHIT!" I liked the fact that he hated my cancer!
She did it! In my first post=op session today, her assistant came in the room and immediately stood across from a computer. The first question he asked me was, "Did anything fall out?" I thought he was perhaps an unlucky carrier of a sick sense of humor like myself, but he was actually serous! He was talking about the dressing/bandage covering my incision.
I am scheduled to get the dressing/bandage taken off by her next Wednesday, then immediately schedule the radiologist who hates the rest of my nasty tumor!

1 comment:

ambisinistral said...

Here's hopes for your speedy recovery from a regular reader.