Saturday, April 20, 2019

Have A Grade-A Easter Sunday!

Guest post by Suzann Darnall

Many of us have been listening to news stories for a very long time about places and people doing away with Easter celebrations, Christmas displays, and anything remotely Christian in general. The excuse often used is that Christianity is exclusionary. We are told that not everyone is a Christian or that not all people celebrate holidays.

In my opinion, all of the aforementioned malarkey is simply another bullying tactic used by the Left to push Christians into a deep, dark hole where they want us to keep our mouths shut for fear we will be called bigots or worse. I, for one, refuse to go sit in their creepy corner and keep my belief in God to myself! To do so would be the same as Peter denying Jesus three times before the cock crowed. Not happening on my watch!

Nor do I intend to give up the joy of celebrating Easter. Not just as a celebration of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ's triumph over the grave, but as a happy time of family fun. I am quite capable of knowing the difference between the religious aspects and the secular aspects of Easter . . . as well as being quite capable of enjoying both sides of this very precious holiday.

This year I am not in charge of anything for the family get-together. Although, I did buy some surprises for the grandchildren we will see on Easter. But, our daughter, Charly, has invited Pete and me to spend the afternoon and evening at their home. The kids will do their Easter Egg Hunt, we will give them their gifts, and lots of yummy food will be enjoyed! And, all I have to do is enjoy! This year I am much in need of that less stressful event.

I understand that everyone is not a Christian and that everyone does not celebrate holidays. I respect the right to worship or not worship as one wishes, as well as the choice to celebrate or not celebrate as one wishes. I merely ask that I be allowed the same options. And, by the way, I choose to worship AND celebrate!
So, to paraphrase the scriptures: As for me and my house, we will celebrate Easter . . . and Christmas . . . and . . . Valentine's Day . . . and the Fourth of July . . . and . . . In short, I will celebrate my religion, my country, and my holidays. I will use them as excuses to gather in prayer and in fun. I will celebrate my freedom as an American. Oh wait . . . I guess that is kinda not politically correct either, 'cause America is considered to be exclusionary as well. Oops, my bad!

So, politically correct or not, Happy Easter to my Christian friends and readers. May those who celebrate the Jewish holiday of Passover be blessed as they pay tribute to God and their history. May others enjoy holidays or non-holidays to their liking. May everyone enjoy the renewal of springtime! A time of joy. A time to celebrate new life. Let us all stop and smell the roses, or lilies, or honeysuckle. Whatever is blooming wherever you are . . . enjoy it!

(Update of original, “Easter Egg Extravaganza” written on 2013-03-27)

No comments: