Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Christmas Basics

Guest post by
by Suzann Darnall

Those of y’all who have been reading my WoolyMammothOrg essays for years are familiar with my over-the-top Christmas preparations and collections. But, Christmas 2018 is a bit more back to the basics. Most of our holiday decorations are packed away and everything is coded “simplify”.

There is still much joy at the thought of celebrating the birthday of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We are enjoying the Christmas music. Hymns, carols, and songs. Everything from “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” to “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”. One of my particular favorites is “I’ll Be Home For Christmas”. I feel like it is the unofficial Christmas carol of military families. I remember listening to it over and over in December 1972. My father was in Vietnam. He was going to get to come home for Christmas. A true blessing!

We are not downplaying Christmas ‘cause we do not believe in the message, but rather ‘cause I am simply too exhausted to do all the work to get it out and put it back. My family offered to help, but my husband and I still opted to keep it simple this year. His surgical recovery and cancer treatments are quite time-consuming and really take most of our energy each day. So, we both felt it would be a more enjoyable holiday if we had a bit less to worry about and a bit more flexibility in taking things day-by-day.

I do have almost all of my Christmas music boxes on display in the living room. We have a couple of card garlands across the mantle to hold Christmas cards and get-well cards. Makes quite a colorful and cheerful display. There is one adorable Christmas polar bear. A
gift from my granddaughters. We have a “tree”. It is a very country tree in the back of a red pickup-truck, all made from shiny tinsel. I put out my very large Christmas pony stuffed animal. Plus our children and grandchildren got a portrait taken with Santa,
so it sits on the sideboard. So wonderful!

We do not yet know what we will do for Christmas dinner. Pete undergoes his first chemotherapy treatment this Friday and we will see what happens after that. It might be a stay home and eat simple. It might be he feels well enough to go elsewhere and feast. But, whatever happens, we will be together and there will be great joy in celebrating that Christ the Savior was born to save all mankind!

There will be some gifts. There will be some candy. Even some baked goods. I have an emergency backup plan of turkey meat leftover from one roasted earlier this week. Always have rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, and apples on hand. So, instant feast is doable.

But, mostly all I want for Christmas is a smile from my husband, with a kiss and a hug. To know that my children and grandchildren are safe and happy. To know my Lord, Jesus Christ is watching over us.

May the Lord bless your hearts and homes with joy this Christmas. May you have family, friends, and feasting to fill your day. May there be love and laughter to light your way into the new year. God bless us everyone!!!

No comments: