Friday, November 30, 2018

It’s A Wonderful Time

by Pete Darnall, Guest Writer

What a wonderful time of year! Celebrating the birth of our Savior, decorating our homes, venturing out to find that perfect gift, singing carols, visiting loved ones, and generally feeling that beautiful Christmas Spirit. I love it!

My thoughts this Christmas season, are not so much turned to the giving and receiving of gifts, though that will certainly be on my mind. Over the past couple of years, I have tried to focus more on contemplating the very many blessings that our Father in Heaven has poured out upon me and my family over this past year. And I would invite each of you to join me in this beautiful walk down memory lane.

“Count your many blessings name them one by one. Count your many blessings see what God hath done.” I’m not one for singing, but I do enjoy this hymn especially. If we don’t take time to reflect on the blessings that have been bestowed upon us, if we don’t really seek out to recognize and acknowledge each one, then we may well overlook so many ways in which we have been blessed. Sometimes we may feel lost or forgotten or alone. Sometimes we feel like our prayers just bounce off of the ceiling and go no higher. By actively seeking to identify the blessings we have received, we can recognize that we are connected together more closely than we often recognize,

Heavenly Father looks for ways to bless us. “Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you.” D&C 78:17. This scripture sounds like a mighty big promise. Blessings are already prepared for us. They are awaiting us. And I believe they are being shared with us more often than we see. I think it’s like when you go down the road looking for a particular type of vehicle. Before you look for them you don’t notice them; once you look for them you see them everywhere!

Finally, I think we should also take the time to remember how we have been a blessing to others. This isn’t to pat ourselves on the back and make a show what grand people we are. It is to remember the answer to the question “Have I done any good in the world today?” Over the last month your prayers, fasting, and concern have made a tremendous difference for me, Suzann, and our family. I know that you are making a difference in the lives of many others within your churches and throughout your communities. We need to be able to feel good about the positive differences we make.

As we get into the Holiday Spirit, as we contemplate the birth of our Savior, as we enjoy the fun of the holidays, we can remember: “And he that receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.” D&C 78:19.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

No comments: