Friday, June 22, 2018

Make a Commitment!

Guest post by
by Suzann Darnall

Just a few days ago my husband and I celebrated the 41st anniversary of the night we met. It was and is an important date to us. It was a turning point in our lives. One that has led to more than four decades of marriage, two daughters, two sons-in-laws, seven grandchildren, more pets than we can count, plus lots and lots of travelling.

We dated for a couple of weeks, he went home on leave for a couple of weeks, we told my folks we wanted to get married, and we got married a couple of weeks later. In all, we married seven weeks after we met. It will be 41 years in August. Not bad in this day and age. When so many things are considered disposable. Including unwanted babies and inconvenient marriages.

But, not everything should be considered disposable. Many things are worth preserving and cherishing. Just because something is inconvenient, that does not make it unimportant. I was raised by parents who were taught to cherish people, places, and things. My grandparents also were the kind of folks who persevered and preserved. I just do not have a throw it away kind og mindset. I am somewhat confused and disturbed by those who do think that way.

I collect things. People to love. Scooby Doo and John Wayne memorabilia. Pets and critters. Family and friends. Antiques. Fabric. Dishes and glassware. Vintage linens and tables to use them on. As well as a number of others things. My husband loves rocking chairs, trunks, and old clocks, plus all his military mementos. So, our home is like a mini-museum of our lives, our history, our family, our adventures, and our passions.

Part of why I collect is that I sort of make a commitment to things, including animals and people. I have a barncat right now who is a pretty useless hunter. But, we adopted him and he is a sweet love, so he will have a home until he dies. Even if he never, ever catches a single mouse. One of the dogs who lives with us actually belongs to one of our daughters, but it is impossible for him to live in her home. So, he too will have a home with us until it is time to cross the rainbow bridge.

I know that I perhaps over-commit, but I think that is better than lacking commitment in all things. I feel that one of the problems in our society today is that far too many people refuse to make commitments. They sorta start this, then move to that, kinda give up, and start something else.

Animal shelters are filled with dogs and cats who used to be the cute puppies and kitties someone took home and then dumped. Abortion clinics are far too numerous ‘cause too many parents-to-be decide babies are inconvenient. Divorce lawyers are well-employed ‘cause husbands and wives figure it is easier to just not be married anymore. Students are either dropping out of college or taking far more than four years to complete a degree ‘cause they refuse to commit to actually studying and earning their degree.

I feel that making commitments is part of taking responsibility for my life and my world. We cannot truly be responsible without making commitments and we cannot truly make commitments without taking responsibility.

Sometimes it is time to say goodbye to a beloved pet. They have grown old and ill and it is time to say goodbye. That is when we fulfill our final responsibility to the commitment we made to love and care for them. We allow them to cross the rainbow bridge, perhaps with a little help from the vet.

Sometimes we have a beloved heirloom that has been passed down through the family, but it simply can no longer be repaired. It is no longer useful, attractive, or safe. While it is heartbreaking to dispose of it, this is not a lack of commitment, this is simply another time we need to step up and say good-bye.

There will come a day when I will have to say goodbye to my husband. But, it is my sincere prayer that it will not be until the day that one of us is crossing to the other side, ‘cause when I married him it was my intention to be committed to him for time and all eternity. I think it is my responsibility to make sure that I never fall out of love with him. It is for that reason that I have commited to ever being in a state of courtship with my beloved sweetheart. To always remember to care for him. To share kisses and hugs. To laugh and smile. To make sure he always knows he is the most important person in my life. To make him feel cherished.

If your life seems a little less bright. A little less happy. A little less fulfilling. Perhaps it is time to think about how committed you are to making it brighter, happier, fulfilled. Are you taking responsibility for yourself and your life? Are you making commitments to and being responsible for those around you?

I can assure you that making a commitment to do better will make things better. We do not have to be perfect. We just have to do better. Just make a commitment. Responsibility can really be a beautiful thing!
Suzann blogs at Wooly Mammoth.org

No comments: