Saturday, December 19, 2015

Blessed AND Stressed

Guest post from Suzann Darnell today:
On the one hand, I feel greatly blessed as we are fully into the swing of the holiday season. A holiday that I count as one of the two most important historical landmarks in the history of the world. I am at a loss as to measuring which is more important: Easter or Christmas. In my opinion, they are both equally vital to my eternal happiness. It took both the birth and the death for there to be the atonement and resurrection. The long and short of it is that Jesus lived and died for me and for all mankind. So, I celebrate His birth this month!

On the other hand, reading the headlines and following the news makes for becoming very stressed. The stupidity and cupidity that abounds throughout the world, with our country’s borders, and even in our own government is frightening. It is impossible to truly feel safe, even in our own homes and neighborhoods at times. Crime is ever present and terrorism seems to be creeping ever closer to all parts of our land.

But, in spite of the stressing circumstances of the modern world, I am striving to focus more on each and every blessing that comes my way. Counting them provides a measure of joy that helps shove the woe out of the way and allow for happiness to fill my heart and home to over-flowing!

I have a wonderful home and a near-perfect husband. My children and grandchildren are happy and healthy. The animal members of the family are all doing well, too. We have enough to eat and a warm place to sleep. Our comforts are so extensive as to verge on luxuries. My health is mostly good and what is not quite right is really relatively minor in the scheme of things. My extended family seems to be more or less on the okay side, too. Even the majority of my friends are doing fine. All in all, life is pretty much to the good.

In fact, if not for our government, life would be quite on the plus side! But, that seems to be the way our government trends more and more. More and more to the minus. They seem to be all about the negatives, not the positives. Whether it is about subtracting money from our wallets or liberty from our lives, they are taking, taking, taking away!

However, I find another blessing when I talk with my friends, read my social media, or dig for news online about Conservatives, and discover that I am not alone in wanting a return to smaller and more Constitutional-based government. Just knowing that others out there want to defend their rights, gives me hope. Knowing that there are still moral and ethical Americans who choose to stand for what is right and good is a comfort in a world gone crazy with hate, violence, and ignorance.

While it is not easy to ignore the bad and concentrate on the good, I am striving to do so for these few weeks of the holiday season. To countdown to Christmas and the New Year in a mood of exultation. To enjoy the time with my family and friends. To tally the many favors the Lord has bestowed upon myself and my loved ones.

Then, after the New Year is in full swing, I will again gird my loins for doing battle against the evils that are our political masters. Metaphorically speaking. I will again write against their tyranny and urge my fellow citizens to vote wisely. But, that is for a few tomorrows away. For today, join me in calculating the gifts of not just the season, but of living in the choice land that can offer so much to those who will honor its heritage. If we will but remember what made America great, we can keep America free. So, remember with me. Remember the reason for the season and remember those who have given their all to give us liberty.

As it has been said, “Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American G. I. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.” Thank God for the gift of His Son. And, God bless America! Merry Christmas to all y’all!!!

No comments: