Saturday, August 13, 2011

"Stay hungry, stay foolish"

One of my favorite blogs is Maggie's Farm. Barrister is one of their bloggers, and today he has re-posted Steve Jobs' Commencement speech at Stanford University in 2005. In it Mr. Jobs told three stories about his life. The first is to have the "confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well-worn path, and that will make all the difference."

The second was about love and loss. "You've got to find what you love, and that is as true for work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work, and the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it, and like any great relationship it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking. Don't settle."

The third story was about death. "When you realize you are going to die, you are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart." "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice, heart and intuition."

Read the whole thing here.

5 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

You know it's funny. I hear that a lot from the highly successful people follow your heart, love your work, but for the many more of us that never achieve that level of success just being employed and plodding along is really ok. I don't have to love my work to be happy.

Bob's Blog said...

Terri,
I hear what you are saying. I think I probably did not do Mr. Jobs justice the way I summarized his speech; that's why I urged people to read the whole thing. I left out a lot of important parts, like his being adopted, and his choice to drop out of college.

Marwati said...

To me, it's indeed very difficult to love what I do as I easily get bored and can't stop criticizing toward my self, especially. I'm still seeking but I'm already 23 - How scary to see time flies! Isn't it a drag, somehow...

Tim A said...

May be a duplicate - got an error.

"Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice, heart and intuition"

So he is saying we should not let the noise of what he is saying...

There may be great possibilities and realities not in your "inner voice, heart and intuition" that can bring eternal joy to your life.

Bob's Blog said...

Marwati,
I think that is why God gave us two distinctly different hemispheres in our brains. The left hemisphere needs to be balanced out by the right. The left is constantly telling us stories, which can be helpful, but also may be harmful. The right can open us to the possibilities of eternal life, which I believe God makes available to those who believe in Him. Ask your left hemisphere to quiet down and let the right dominate once in a while.