Friday, July 15, 2011

Questions on my mind today

Are we reliable witnesses to our own history? To the extent that we are only able to remember what was done to us, and not what we ourselves have done, I think the answer is no.
How do we rectify the disparity? Do we go around asking everyone we know to tell us how they see us? That might be painful.

Are we persons who always puts ourselves in the most flattering light when we review what has happened to us?

Are we aware of God's presence throughout our day? If so, do we pray that His will be done through us, and ask for His guidance? Do we humble ourselves, ask forgiveness, and forgive others as He has forgiven us?

3 comments:

swiftone said...

I had a good friend who often said, "I'm ashamed to be a human." I thought it an odd comment, as I thoroughly enjoy my life and humanity. But Christian forgiveness and humility are part of what makes that possible. Seeing ourselves as one of many under the Throne... well a pretty good antidote for the angst of original sin. And fwiw, seems to me you describe the nub of original sin quite well in your thoughts about how unreliable we are as witnesses in our own drama/history. Nice reflections. Thanks for sharing those.

Andy said...

Do we go around asking everyone we know to tell us how they see us? That might be painful.

Bob, I've pondered this question often. The great Scottish poet Robert Burns once wrote, "Oh would God the gift he give us, to see ourselves as others see us." (He wrote it in Scottish dialect, but that's the jist of it).

I believe that God surely has given us that gift. He has given us that gift in the form of other people... Hoping not to confuse here...but, I've discovered that the things that "bug me" the most about other people are most often the things that I myself have not overcome. When I look at a vain person, and find myself bugged by it, I've learned that I'm most likely struggling with my own vanity. If I see a prideful individual that just will not admit their fault, and it bugs me...well, I'm probably dealing with that very same failing myself. When I'm besieged by some "talker" that rattles on and on and on, and it really bugs me...well, I'm seeing myself (or at least the self I've tried to better. Really, I have...even though this long comment is not much evidence of it). The list goes on and on...

Good food for thought, Bob.

Bob's Blog said...

Swiftone and Andy,
Thank you both for responding to my questions. Your thoughts add so much and I see the wisdom in them.