Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Literature Trivia

Which novel is studied the most in American high schools and colleges? (The Great Gadsby). Did you know that Dante Gabriel Rosseti exhumed his wife seven years after her death to retrieve an unfinished manuscript of his poems that he had nestled "in her famous red tresses, alongside the Bible?" Mickey Spillane wrote his first Mike Hammer novel in nine days, and "it went on to sell 7 million copies in three years."

These are three items of trivia found in a book called "Curiosities of Literature" reviewed (unfavorably) in the WSJ by Charles Harrington Elster.

2 comments:

mushroom said...

That's cool.

The Beautiful and the Damned is my favorite Fitzgerald. But I would have guessed Silas Marner (showing my age), or something from Jane Austen.

Terri Wagner said...

Anything from Shakespeare I would have thought but then I guess those are plays.