Friday, February 18, 2011

"More-in-sadness-than-anger"

Republicans in states all around the nation are having purity wars. Ace of Spades has some thoughts on the subject. Ace likes the politician who comes across as moderate in temperament, but is unflinching in adhering to principles. He really likes Governor Walker of Wisconsin. There are many people who lean conservative, but are not part of the Republican base, and those are the people Republicans need in order to get elected.

Ace says, "I really like Walker. I think a lot of the time people don't understand what I mean when I say "moderate in temperament." Like, I like politicians who come off calm and "just doing the people's business" and stuff. That doesn't mean you can't be a hard-core conservative ideologue -- Walker isn't flinching here at all. But he is doing that more-in-sadness-than-anger thing that sells, projecting the idea that he's just workin' for the people and above partisan spats."

I think Ace is on to something very important.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Hmmm interesting concept. My mom always said you get more bees with honey than vinegar. But I find myself in the you're either with me or against me camp.