Friday, November 07, 2008

Mobs and Discrimination

In this year's election, most cities went for Obama, while the rural areas mostly favored McCain. Trouble is, the cities are where most Americans now live.

It was just the opposite when our country was founded. No less of an American than Thomas Jefferson, in his Notes on Virginia, wrote, "The mobs of great cities add just so much to the support of pure government, as sores do to the strength of the body."

The mobs in California do not like the outcome of Proposition 8. The large turnout of black voters was not helpful to those who wished to change the legal definition of marriage. Many blacks resent the efforts of gays to compare themselves to blacks in terms of discrimination and victimization.

Actually, I have observed more prejudice among young people toward gays than I have seen toward blacks. There is much more disparaging use of the word "gay" than of the "n" word in today's America. In fact, I think there is probably more use of the "n" word among blacks toward one another than there is from whites about blacks.

The other day our daughter Sara told me she is the only black person in her preschool (a fact I had already observed). I asked her if she wishes there were more black children in the class. She said no, with little or no hesitation. We have taught her that her "chocolate" skin color is beautiful, and she is proud of it.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

I grew up military so I have no preconceived notions about race or interrace. I'm ok iwth either. I'm glad she's ok with it too.