Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Worth the Wait

Today I met a beautiful woman. She was being pushed in her wheelchair by her son. He patiently helped her into the back seat of his car. Following close behind was her husband, who was walking slowly with the use of a cane. I asked him, "Is that your little boy"? (The "little boy" was a man in his late sixties). The man said, "Yes, that's my little boy". He thanked me for something, and I replied, "That's the guy you need to thank. He's returning all the kindness you showed to him when he was a little boy." The man said, "Oh, we do, we thank him every day."

Then I commented on how beautiful his wife is. He agreed, and said she has always been beautiful, and that next year they would be celebrating their 75th wedding anniversary. I said, "My goodness, you must have gotten married when you were five years old"! He said, "No, I was eighteen and she was sixteen, but I had to wait a while until she turned sixteen, before I could marry her." The man is 92. His beautiful bride is 90. He is certain that the wait was worth it.

6 comments:

mushroom said...

Beautiful story, Bob. Thanks.

Epijunky said...

Bob, that brought a tear to my eye.

We should all be so lucky.

robinstarfish said...

Yes, wonderful.

Terri Wagner said...

Now that's a love story that needs to be told.

Jeffro said...

Wow!

Lisa said...

You are blessed that you can see the beauty in this moment. So many people just walk past, and miss the moments that make life special! It leaves me with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye.