Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Refreshing Place to Go In The Blogosphere


One of my favorite blogs to visit is The House of Zathras. Surfing the blogosphere can sometimes be a little depressing, but not at the House of Zathras. Check out Mrs. Who's latest multiple choice quiz here.

The quiz reminds me of my neighborhood. We live at the base of a mountain. Across the street is a beautiful Victorian house. Across the street in another direction is an underground house! Next to that house is a family that is like the house in the multiple choice quiz. The snooty neighbors who have the yard signs for liberal political candidates look down their noses at this family (and at us, too, no doubt). We actually get along better with that family than we do with any of the other neighbors.

The man of the house works in a very dirty job laying asphalt. His hobby is bringing home used cars, putting them up on the cement blocks, and getting them to run for a while. One day in 2004 he came over and told me that he had never voted before, and would like some help learning how to register. He also asked me if I knew where he could get some Bush/Cheney signs for his yard. We have been fast friends ever since. He and his wife ask me for gardening tips, and they recently helped us carry in some furniture we found on sale. When the tomatoes were ripe for pickin, they gave us all we could eat, and they were delicious. We give them baby clothes from time to time. Their daughters have each given birth a few times, even though they are not yet twenty-years-old. Grandmother takes care of the babies while the mothers are at work. Our children love playing with their children.

1 comment:

Mrs_Who said...

Thanks for the compliment - I'm glad to offer a 'happy place'. But I can get 'depressing' too, but I try to find the happy whenever possible.

We also have a polar political opposite neighbor whose favorite phrase to us is "I'll triple my taxes if you'll double yours!" GRRR! Nah - how about you quadruple yours and take all of mine!! Then we'll all be happy!"