Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Flower of Desire

Some time near the end of his twelfth year or the beginning of his thirteenth year my son Jon wrote this poem. He shared it with me this week, and I now share it with you.

The Flower of Desire

Reality sometimes can just be so absurd

a life is often thick, but can just contain a word.

I thought I want and need

so many things indeed.

But a single thing I could never reach

a flower worthy of none but love to reach.

The flower that colors my life with arms we much admire

bought with luck and truth, is the flower of desire.

To be watered with water from the stream near a path I have not

chosen.

This is why my flower would be much more lost than I

if I kept it in my heart to comfort my every sigh.

Dried and close to death is what my flower is without

another heart that's just as filled with doubt.

Together we would cancel out

and never again would I pout.

My path would be deserted

as with its opposite

But in the middle, hand in hand

our path will be lit.

The shoes would fit perfectly,

but my heart is much too sad, you see.

If it turns out again just me

my flower once young, an old and dying tree.

The candle blown out would be

with traitor feet my guide.

How can I truly see

that I can never hide

Mere toys in a dream put here by some sadistic host

a grinning eagle to tear me from my post.

The alarm would blare

I believed this for so long

If gone is the pair

containing our loving song.

The notes and words in every heart but mine

forced to share the contract that only I did sign.

My hope so cold and lost

but still just as needed.

Taken as cost

AND I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

No comments: