Monday, May 02, 2011

Doing the right thing

After reading my Alinsky post, reader Terri Wagner posed a question, and I gave an answer: "How do you since you had a first ring seat so to speak explain what Alinsky said. I mean his words at any rate speak different from what you are describing."

"Terri,
My understanding of him was, as I wrote, that he wanted real change. He saw the anti-poverty programs as nothing more than welfare programs that would keep the status quo. As a young social worker starting out, I saw things the same way. I wanted people to break free from dependence on these programs, do the things that would enable them to gain self respect and dignity, pride in accomplishments, and personal responsibility.

As time went on, I was personally turned off by his purposeful scapegoating of good people who happened to be in positions of power, such as Clarence Kelly, Kansas City's Chief of Police."

Likewise, I was turned off by Barack Obama's unfair scapegoating of President Bush. However, I am thankful that President Obama has had the wisdom to continue Bush's policies that resulted in the successful operation against Osama bin Laden. Unlike his promises to the left, Obama has kept open Guantanamo, and continued to interrogate the prisoners there. At times we can be thankful that Obama says one thing and does another!

True wisdom is revealed when we respect our opponents and do the right thing.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Excellent point. Obama has come through for us in a way none of us could have imagined. We do often find ourselves with "strange bedfellows." I think you should be able to smoke although my religion condemns it. Thank you for explaining in a way I could totally get.