Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Confidence, leadership, and motivation

Barack Obama spent a year-and-a-half selling himself as the "hope" and "change" candidate. We are seeing the change, but not the hope. Now he speaks about catastrophe and being "on the precipice." That is not going to make Americans confident and motivated to take on challenges and risks.

Jimmy Carter also wallowed in doom and gloom, which were self-fulfilling prophecies. Jimmy was the last Democrat I voted for, and I so regret that vote. Carter deservedly lost overwhelmingly to Robnald Reagan, who spoke of America as "The Shining City on the Hill." He never lost his sunny disposition and confidence in the American people.

Barack, you got your mammoth spending bill. Now go back to being the confident person you were as a candidate, who sold 53% of the American people on a hopeful future. The attitude of the president is hugely important in motivating many Americans to keep on keepin on.

3 comments:

swiftone said...

I can't hear the great BO without zeroing in on the doom and gloom. I've turned off the TV because all it sells is irrational fear. Now I'm goina hafta turn off the radio as well? These sound bites are making me want to increase my meds!

I want change.....in my pocket said...

You should listen to truthful radio and then you can have some of your own hope. Not the doom and gloom. We are all still responsible for the way we live our own lives. Us AMERICANS aren't gonna take it there could be protests in all cities, but you won't hear that on the average radio. So go AM and search.

Terri Wagner said...

I personally feel much more motivated when someone tells me "you can do it" than when someone tells me "it's all over but the crying."