Sunday, November 25, 2012

Purple mountain majesty

Dr. Mercury at Maggie's Farm does a re-post today of a trip he made to Colorado. The place he describes is very near where I live. From the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, where I took Greg, Jon, and Sara this year, he writes of the view: "The red mountains burn to a deep purple majesty in the sunset. You look down from six thousand feet upon the heart of the continent, the great food belt from Kansas to the Mississippi; the fruited plain. The Bald Eagle, king of birds, soars above it all. He lands, and with a great rustling of feathers from his huge wingspan, settles down in front of you. All the power and wisdom and strength of America is right there before you."

"Colorado Springs is in a beautiful, natural basin surrounded by true purple mountain majesty. As in the song."

I live on the high plains northeast of the area he is describing. I do just have one quibble with his description of the area. In contrast to Pikes Peak, it does look like the plains are flat as a pancake. They aren't though. The area where I live is more accurately described as rolling hills; lots of them!

If you have never been to Colorado, I urge you to do so. I hope I never take for granted its amazing beauty.

Read more about Dr. Mercury's trip to Colorado here: http://maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com/archives/13904-Colorado-Travelogue.html#extended

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I didn't mean to imply Kansas was the midwest version of the Bonneville Salt Flats. Close, but not exactly. There actually ARE hills there, as measured by precise laser-guided instruments capable of detecting the slightest rise in land elevation down to a quarter-inch. So Kansas has got that going for it.

A couple of years ago, I was watching the TV news and it was covering something in Wichita. The on-screen graphic referred to it as "Witchita".

"No, that's Salem, you morons!," I hollered at the screen.

Hell, I could tell Kansas stories all day long. :)