Sunday, November 25, 2012

Don't try to run, pass, or kick it against this guy!

The next Dick Butkus has arrived! My grandson Ryan plays defensive tackle for the un

defeated Georgetown, Texas Eagles football team. In college he'll probably switch to linebacker and follow in the Butkus tradition. I am very proud of him and of his mom, who had her own outstanding achievements in basketball and volleyball, as well as being an outstanding human being.

Here are some of Ryan's stats: Height: 6'1" Weight: 240 Age: 17 Prim. Position: DT 40 Yard Dash: 4.8 5-10-5 Shuttle: 4.21 Bench Press: 305 Squat: 505 Vertical: 33

Update: Here is something Ryan has recently written: "How I am involved in service in my community and why these efforts are important to me: Football is not only a sport, it is a way of life and almost a religion in Texas! It brings the community together by giving us a common cause, and it can heal cities where there are dividing lines. I give back to my community every chance I get through serving in Meals on Wheels deliveries, Merry Christmas with Love, mission trips to help the poor, and cleaning local apartments for the elderly. I serve through my local youth group at church, which is it like a second family. I am in PALS at school which is a mentoring program for elementary school students. My community is important to me because there are hundreds of little kids that look up to me.

Athletes are often leaders on and off the field. One example of how I have demonstrated leadership in both areas: The various responsibilities and leadership roles that I hold in my school, team, church, family life, and community have molded my people management skills. For instance, it takes a great deal of time and planning to put together a Monday night service at FCA. Learning how to motivate people and tap into their strengths for the betterment of a program is a valuable skill. People management skills are essential, especially when involving a team. My various leadership roles off the field have helped me be a better team captain this year as a Senior.

How I pursue "healthy athletic performance" as a student-athlete: One of today’s major impediments to the successful development of young student athletes is underage drinking. Underage drinking imposes significant risks to young adults’ physical, emotional, and intellectual well-being. I have seen many personal examples of young adults from strong families who fall victim to alcohol abuse. Underage drinking can cause physical damage to the person, a poorer quality of life, and sometimes even death. The risk of addiction is also a very real threat with substance abuse of any sort. These are all reasons that I, as a young adult, have committed to avoid alcohol completely."

Now do you see why I am so proud of this young man?

No comments: