Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Know-it-all

Do you know people who have no questions, but know all the answers? It must be nice, but, really, I don't envy them. I love asking questions and trying to learn. You can't do that if you already think you know all the answers! When I encounter people like that, I just listen to them explain what they know, then I go on happily asking questions about the many, many things I do not know.

One of the things I love most about life is asking questions. Every person I meet is a potential source of learning for me. I do not see myself as better than other people, because I know I am not! I feel sorry for people who must always be the person who has all the answers. They are missing out on one of life's greatest blessings: learning from other people!

Most of our problems are self-caused, I believe. If we must always be the person with all the answers, we put ourselves at a huge disadvantage: being closed off from the great pleasure of learning from other people.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

I just came from a job interview where I needed to be the one with the answers and felt I failed to communicate well. How do you balance the need to have answers with the need to NOT be a know it all?