Friday, February 05, 2016

"Constitutional Conservatives"

Although I never seem to get the time to listen more than fifteen minutes at a time, usually while driving, on lunch breaks, or preparing meals, I love talk radio. Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Mark Levin, Glenn Beck, Hugh Hewitt, Dennis Prager, and Dana Loesch are my favorites nationally, and I have several local favorites, too. Steve Deace, broadcasting out of Des Moines, with sponsorship by Conservative Review, captured my attention during the lead-up to the Iowa caucuses.

I was a big fan of Glenn Beck in the first decade of this century, then kind of lost interest, because he spent so much time being sarcastic with his two sidekicks. I love bits of sarcasm here and there, but not fifteen minutes non-stop. Lately, though, he has once again impressed me with his eloquence. His emphasis on being a "Constitutional Conservative" resonates with me. He wants conservatives to unite around that banner, using more verbs ("what are you going to do?") and less adjectives in our disputes with fellow conservatives.

Beck opposes the nominations of Donald Trump and Marco Rubio, as does Mark Levin. Levin points out that both Trump and Rubio have histories of working in agreement with the vile Senator Chuck Schumer of New York and "progressive" conservative John McCain. Levin mocks Barack Obama, who claims unemployment is now at 4.9 percent, even though 95 million American adults are unemployed, and a whole lot of us are underemployed.

I admit that this week I detoured to sports radio for analysis of this Sunday's Super Bowl matchups, but next week I will return to my favorites on conservative talk radio.

No comments: