Friday, February 26, 2016

A Rubio/Kasich ticket, with Cruz in Supreme Court?

For weeks Town Hall's Guy Benson has been trying to sound the alarm about the possibility of a Trump presidency. He is recommending Rubio. He quotes from Ross Douthat, who recommended Rubio/Kasich, with a promise to Ted Cruz that he will get the Supreme Court nomination.
So there you have it: A barely-plausible desperation heave toward the endzone with Team Trump playing prevent defense (which, for him, includes taking lots of potshots). President Rubio, Vice President Kasich, and Justice Cruz -- with a primetime convention speech from Dr. Ben Carson, detailing his remarkable life story and path to improbable achievement. That's not how many people would have drawn things up at the onset of this cycle, but here we are. Much is on the line for those of us who believe the country cannot afford a Hillary Clinton presidency -- which I truly believe a Trump nomination would usher in, despite occasional doubts and cross-currents. Sure, there are a thousand fair objections to the scenario I've laid out. I'm not entirely sold on it myself, to be candid. I'm not reflexively hostile to other theories and scenarios (such as the state-by-state strategic voting plan to try to force a contested convention, or a Rubio/Cruz or Cruz/Rubio unity ticket), but this is the one I've settled on. And there's no time to wallow in endless debate. A moment of truth is upon us. Right now. Either Trump's opponents and their supporters will set egos and preferences to the side in pursuit of a common end, or the outcome they claim to abhor will come to fruition. Which is precisely why I've chosen to speak out. Based on the delegate math, the unforgiving calendar, and the exceedingly high stakes at play, my choice has been made for me: It will either be Trump or Rubio, and I choose Rubio. I urge you -- which sounds better than 'beg you' -- to consider joining me in this call. There's no time to waste.
Read more here.

No comments: