Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"Politics of the apolitical"

This month marks the 25th anniversary of Tiananmen Square, and the massacres of thousands of young Chinese by the Communists. David Warren was there, and reflects on what happened and what has happened since.
Looking back, over this quarter century, I see that my political views have “evolved.” I cannot use such terms as “freedom” and “democracy” quite so glibly as I could, then. My sympathies have hardly shifted to the Maoist party, however. On the contrary, my disgust may actually have increased, at their success in delivering to China the bourgeois, consumerist non-paradise that has changed everything. The young who were mercilessly gunned down, by their hundreds and probably thousands not only in Peking but in other cities away from Western media, could hardly have realized the cause they were serving: which is to say, inspiring their government to a more cynical exploitation of themselves, and the masses.
Please read more here.

No comments: