Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What makes for a loyal customer?

Seth Godin writes:
There will always be two ends of the market. There's the race to the bottom, based on efficiency at all costs, that says, "we have what they have, but cheaper." The problem with the race to the bottom is that you might win.

The other end is for items that we want, regardless of how far away they come from, because the ideas they embody are worth seeking out.

I say hogwash! Walmart has a new campaign whereby customers can download an app, scan their receipt, send it to Walmart. Walmart checks the prices on the items in the receipt as advertised by competing retailers all over the Denver metro area. If someone had a lower price advertised on the date of the customer's purchase, they email the customer a gift card that can be used on their nest purchase. Customers love it! If customers realize that a business is that serious about earning their business, they will be loyal shoppers at that business.

Excuse me while I take time out from blogging. I am going over to Walmart to pick up the item they are shipping to me at no charge at their Site To Store program. I ordered a full page magnifying glass so I could read a tome by Henry Kissinger. I picked the book up at the used book sale at the library for a buck. The magnifying glass will cost me five dollars. While I'm at Walmart, I am going to check out their clearance sale, where I can possibly pick out some early Christmas gifts at 50 percent off their already marked down prices.

Elites like Seth Godin can go ahead and order their handmade leather shoes from Pakistan.

No comments: