Tuesday, November 12, 2019

"Take Virginia as a warning!"

In the Ace of Spades blog, Weasel writes,
For 23 of 100 House and 10 of 40 Senate seats, the incumbent Democrat ran unopposed by a Republican. The results weren't a surprise or an upset but rather a foregone conclusion. On election day, my local GOP website featured images of individuals heroically engaged in the opposition of new bike lanes rather than substantive core issues, and outside the polling place Republican campaign workers chatted amongst themselves rather than engaging arriving voters. Way to inspire the base, people. Are you trying to lose? Is the #NeverTrump ideology so deeply ingrained that you're willing to simply sacrifice the Commonwealth? Apparently so.

Why am I ranting about this when it's already old news? Am I still angry and bitter at the outcome? Of course I am. But I'm really pissed because the Republicans didn't even try to win which is inexcusable, unforgivable and an outright betrayal of the people. They didn't show up for the damn fight. Elections have consequences which we are all going to see soon enough. Democrats may fight dirty, but they do fight and they fight to win. I'm not certain what the Republicans are doing, but they have clearly ceded Virginia to the opposition. I hope you are better served, but I'm afraid the problem is systemic and exists at all levels of local, state and national politics. Take Virginia as a warning.
Read more here.

No comments: